If you’ve been there, you’ll get it. Liberal Arts colleges have some very, eh, unique attributes. Hey at least they are totally PC.
1. Lots of Gender Neutral Bathrooms
More and more gender neutral/all gender/gender inclusive bathrooms are popping up on campus.
2. “That’s Gay” Is a No No
Anyone who uses the phrase “that’s gay” is instantly corrected then shunned, even if it is a cat. You may even go home and call your friends out on it.
3. Clothing Optional Parties
You’ve gone or been invited to some sort of naked, clothing optional or minimal clothing party.
4. The Democrat’s Club is Way Bigger
Even though your school claims to be accepting of all political views the students in the democratic coalition way out number those in the republican equivalent.
5. Hipsters, Hipsters Everywhere
At least 30% if not more of your class are definitely hipsters.
6. Half Your Friends Ride Bikes
Most liberal arts college campuses are swarmed with bike-riding students. It’s just the coolest, most eco-friendly mode of transport, duh.
7. Race or Gender Come Up In (Almost) Every Class
Yep, even if its a science class race or gender seem to work their way in to the conversation. By senior year you’re practically a gender analysis expert.
8. Reusable Water Bottles are the Norm
Who are you if you don’t have a reusable water bottle you refill at the special water bottle stations your school likely provides.
9. Shopping at Goodwill is Cool
In fact so many students at your school go thrifting that the local Salvation Army has had to put up a sign asking “_______ Students” not to shop there so there is stuff left for those who really need it.
10. People Love Walking Around Barefoot
It’s not uncommon to see people walking around barefoot, even when its cold outside.
11. White Kids Go to Black Student Groups
There are always a handful of white kids that will go to Black Student Union meetings to prove they are cool/accepting and then “casually” mention it.
12. The Jocks Aren’t Really Jocks
They may even play golf.
13. Open Mic Nights Are a Regular Thing
There are frequent open-mic, speak out, poetry slam type of events where people share deep things about their lives via poetry.
14. You Know A Lot of People Who Are Outdoorsy
And the Outdoor activities club is super popular.
15. There’s an Uproar if the Cafeteria Changes its Vegan Options
Yep, there are enough vegetarians and vegans that make up the student body that theres an outcry anytime vegan/veg options are altered or removed. You may even have a vegan station.
16. Weird Clubs
Unique clubs are everywhere like a circus group, a Quidditch team, a happiness club, a porn magazine generating club or even a BDSM club.
17. “PC” Is Used Regularly
“Is that PC?” “Oh, thats so PC.” PC= politically correct and everything at a liberal arts college must be so.
18. Ultimate Frisbee is a Religion
And it’s members are fiercely loyal (and usually pretty chill).
19. There are Regular Demonstrations
There are regular protests, demonstrations, sit ins, you name it.
20. Everyone Wants to Help the Local Community
It seems everyone is all about engaging with and helping the local community, even if they likely don’t want your help.
21. Peace Corp or Teach for America
You have at least one friend who upon graduation whats to join the Peace Corp, join Teach for America or go teach english abroad.